Wednesday, January 09, 2013

A New Year, A New Word

It's my first post for the new year and I feel terrible that I didn't quite finish the #reverb12 project last month. I was off to a good start but then I let the momentum slip. Should I even try to catch up? Kat did say we didn't need to beat ourselves up if we don't complete it.

But I'm glad I tried - because it gave me a a breath of fresh air again, however little. After a long dry spell, I was writing again and I saw words on a page and letters on the screen. I was no longer afraid of my voice and what might come out. I had forgotten how much fun it is to scribble and blog, so I'm glad I had the opportunity to get back to it, however brief.

A new year heralds a lot of new beginnings. "But only say the Word and my soul shall be healed," we always say at Mass. For me, it's my favorite line, and it's about finding that elusive word for the year; the one word that will keep me focused, growing, and thankful for yet another year. I had amazing years for Hawak (2008) and Bulaga! (2009)... and somewhat of a slow start with Halikayo (2012)... and some years just seemed quiet and wordless, which was worrying.

I was exchanging messages with a dear friend over Facebook and she said the word, and it just felt right for 2013. Courage.

cour·age

 [kur-ij, kuhr-]
noun
1.
the quality of mind or spirit that enables a person to face difficulty, danger, pain, etc., without fear;bravery.
2.
Obsoletethe heart as the source of emotion.

3.
have the courage of one's convictions, to act in accordance with one's beliefs, especially in spite of criticism.

I need the courage to write again.
I need to have the courage to let go of fears.
I need the courage to go after my dreams.
I need courage to lead me to who and where I want to be.

Bon courage!

2 comments:

Mia (Savor Everyday) said...

Love this! Reminds me of how Brene Brown defines courage: "To tell the story of who you are with your whole heart" (since coeur = heart)

CloudWoman said...

Absolutely! And that kind of storytelling is scary and exhilarating at the same time. :-)